I am an Assistant Professor at Imperial College London and the Director of the Applications, Platforms, and Systems Security (apss) lab. My research focuses on Security and Privacy issues related to mobile and cyber-physical systems (CPS). I have been studying side-channel and confused deputy attacks on the Android OS and its privacy threats from mobile advertising; IoT vulnerabilities in smart-home environments and vulnerabilities of machine learning models utilized in connected and autonomous vehicles. I’ve worked in strengthening the security of mobile and CPS systems designing access control schemes, anomaly detection and trusted computing mechanisms among others.
Download my resumé: full version - short 2-page version.
🗞️ Latest News
- Conference TPC / Editorial Board Member (Mar, 2021): I was invited to serve at the Technical Program Committee of the 22nd Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium (PETS 2022) and join the Editorial Board of the Proceedings on Privacy Enhancing Technologies (PoPETs). Consider submitting your work!
- Workshop PC (Mar, 2021): I was invited to serve at the Technical Program Committee of the Security and Privacy for Mobile AI (MAISP) workshop. MAISP will be co-located with MobiSys '21. Consider submitting your work!
- 🥈 Award (Feb 25th, 2021): Our short paper titled "Object Removal Attacks on LiDAR-based 3D Object Detectors" was a Runner-Up for the best short paper award at the Third International Workshop on Automotive and Autonomous Vehicle Security (AutoSec) - co-located with NDSS '21.
- Student Travel Grants (Feb 18th, 2021): Two of my PhD students, Chengzeng (Charles) You and Anastasios Lepipas, have been awarded a Student Travel Grant for NDSS 2021. Well Done! 👏👏👏
- 📄 Publication (Feb 2nd, 2021): Our short paper titled "Object Removal Attacks on LiDAR-based 3D Object Detectors" has been accepted at the Third International Workshop on Automotive and Autonomous Vehicle Security (AutoSec) - co-located with NDSS '21.
- Grant (July 15th, 2020): I have been awarded an ISST Champions Fund by the Institute for Security Science and Technology at Imperial College London which will help us measure human smartphone security attention and behavior.
- Comment (April 14th, 2020): Read my comment on smartphone-assisted contact tracing here.
- 📄 Publication (Mar 7th, 2020): Our paper titled “DarkneTZ: Toward Model Privacy at the Edge using Trusted Execution Environments’” has been accepted at ACM MobiSys 2020.
- Conference Session Chair (Nov, 2019): I was invited to serve as a session chair at the Cyberphysical Security session of the 26th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (ACM CCS 2019). CCS is the flagship security conference of ACM.
- Conference OC (May, 2019): I was invited to serve at the Organisation Committee (Finance Co-Chair) of the 26th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (ACM Mobicom).
- 📄 Publication (Feb 19th, 2019): Our paper titled “BEEER: Distributed Record and Replay for Medical Devices in Hospital Operating Rooms’” has been accepted at HotSoS 2019.
- Conference PC (Dec, 2018): I was invited to serve at the Program Committee of the 26th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (ACM CCS 2019). CCS is the flagship security conference of ACM.
- 📰 News Article (September 28th, 2018): “Getting smart on smartphone cyber security”, Duncan Swinscow-Hall, Imperial College London, (link to article).
- 🏢 New Appointment (September 1st, 2018): Appointed as a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) at Imperial College London.
- 🏆 Best-in-Session Presentation Award (May 20th, 2018): I was awarded a best-in-session presentation award at IEEE INFOCOM 2018.
- 🏅 Travel Award (March 27th, 2018): I was awarded a conference travel grant by the Graduate College at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign to attend IEEE INFOCOM 2018 and present our work.
- 🏆 Distinguished Paper Award (Feb 21st, 2018): Our paper titled “Resolving the Predicament of Android Custom Permissions” has received a Distinguished Paper Award at NDSS 2018.
- 📄 Publication (Nov 27th, 2017): Our paper titled “CoDrive: Improving Automobile Positioning via Collaborative Driving’” has been accepted at IEEE INFOCOM.
- 📄 Publication (Oct 26th, 2017): Our paper titled “Resolving the Predicament of Android Custom Permissions” has been accepted at NDSS.
- 📄 Publication (July 13th, 2017): Our paper titled “CamForensics: Understanding Visual Privacy Leaks in the Wild.” has been accepted at SenSys.
- 🏅 Award (May, 2017): I was selected for sponsorship and travel support to the 5th Heidelberg Laureate Forum (HLF) by the Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU) and the National Science Foundation (NSF).
- 📄 Publication (May 2nd, 2017): Our paper titled “HanGuard: SDN-driven protection of smart-home WiFi devices from malicious mobile apps.” has been accepted at WiSec.
- 🏅 Award (April 12th, 2017): I was selected as a young researcher in the fields of Mathematics and Computer Science to participate in the Heidelberg Laureate Forum.
- 🏅 Award (April 6th, 2017): I was selected to participate in the French-American Doctoral Exchange (FADex) program focused in Cybersecurity.
- 📄 Publication (March 6th, 2017): Our paper titled “Ghost Installer in the Shadow: Security Analysis of App Installation on Android” has been accepted at DSN.
- 🏅 Award (August 2nd, 2016): I have been awarded the Best in Class Award during the 2016 Intern Project Fair at Hewlett-Packard Enterprise.
- 📄 Publication (July 22nd, 2016): Our paper titled “Draco: Uniform and Fine-grained Control of Web Code Access on Android” has been accepted at CCS.